The city of Portland’s Sustainability at Work program certifies green businesses that “walk the talk…from recycling and reducing energy to bike commuting and community giving.” In 2020, they audited Rejuvenation’s company headquarters and awarded it Gold Certification, the highest standard of sustainability.
Since its inception in 1977, Rejuvenation has remained dedicated to quality craftsmanship, sustainability and the Portland community it calls home. What began as a small architectural salvage shop has grown into a heritage American lighting and home goods brand marrying the restoration of one-of-a-kind antique items and new, thoughtfully designed products—the majority of which are assembled and finished at the brand’s 87,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in the city.
When Williams-Sonoma, Inc. purchased the brand in 2011, it retained the company’s sustainable mindset while helping to scale its impact in Portland. Rejuvenation’s Green Team brings together employees to help make positive shifts across the company culture, including:
- Volunteering: As participants in Williams-Sonoma, Inc.’s annual, company-wide Martin Luther King, Jr. day of service, Rejuvenation employees have volunteered for Habitat for Humanity and other local organizations, including the Forest Park Conservancy, where they’ve cleaned and maintained local trails.
- Landfill Diversion: Partnering with Habitat’s ReStore program, each Rejuvenation store offers resources encouraging customers to donate home goods and building materials for reuse, while select stores have held donation events.
- Bring Your Own Mug: This initiative educates employees about single-use disposable cups and encourages them to use mugs every day, saving an estimated 23 pounds of waste per person.
- Bike to Work: On National Bike to Work Day, Rejuvenation encourages employees to use alternative commuting to reduce their carbon footprints.
- No Trash Cans: Across their corporate office, Rejuvenation removed individual trash cans to promote less waste, leading to an uptick in recycling and reuse.
Thanks to the efforts of the Green Team and every associate at the Rejuvenation headquarters, we’re learning new ways to improve sustainability across our company. As Sara Kaye Busickio, Rejuvenation’s Sourcing Manager, says, “We’re paving the path for a greener company culture. The work is not yet done, and there are still areas of improvement, but this is a fantastic start!”