Every year, Williams-Sonoma, Inc. (WSI) discloses our Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) initiatives in an annual Impact Report. These reports allow us to publicly commit to goals and share our progress. They hold us accountable and offer a roadmap for others in our industry. Linked below, you’ll find every report since we began publishing our impact in 2011. Together, they track our progress—demonstrating how strong, measurable commitments have created a foundation we’ve built on over time.
- 2021: We became one of the first home furnishings brands to set a Science-Based Target across our value chain, decreased our carbon intensity by 24%, reached nearly 50% products meeting one or more of our social/environmental initiatives and committed to planting 6 million trees.
- 2020: We exceeded many goals and set new 2030 targets, including a goal for at least 75% of our products to represent one or more of our environmental and social initiatives.
- 2019: Meeting goals early, we set a long-term Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Strategy.
- 2018: We sign on to CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion and the UN Free & Equal Campaign.
- 2017: We commit to empowering 100,000+ workers through HERproject and VisionSpring partnerships.
- 2016: We publish goals for landfill diversion, Fair Trade, and GREENGUARD Certified furniture.
- 2015: We publish 2020-21 goals, including 100% responsible cotton and 50% responsible wood by 2021.
- 2014: West Elm becomes the first home furnishings company to partner with Fair Trade USA.
- 2013: West Elm commits $35M in handcrafted purchases, impacting 4,500+ artisans.
- 2012: We publish our first responsible cotton and wood scorecards.
- 2011: We publish our first corporate responsibility report, aligned with the Global Reporting Initiative.
Our reports are informed by the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), the Global Reporting Initiative Standards (GRI), and additional assessments that include business goals, areas of sustainable impact, and industry benchmarking. We use Greenhouse Gas Protocol (GHG) standards to track our emissions, and we’ve set Science-Based Targets (SBT) for Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions.
We prioritize environmentally conscious materials, and we disclose materials in our product information, including any third-party certifications used. We take a Good-Better-Best approach to define our use of responsible materials. We keep updated vendor certification documentation and scope of certification, and we collect transaction certificates and verification for product claims.